From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:07:32 -0500
From: Robet W. Smith :Subject: [PCBUILD] Fast Window's System

> Hello everyone!
> Sorry if this get's a little drawn out but i have been addressing these
issues from every way i have come accross. For starters i built a PIII 500
system,64 meg of pc100 ram, western digital ATA66 13.2 gig hard drive,Matrox
G-400 dual head display,Sound Blaster 16 sound card (ISA), Toshiba UDMA33
cd-rom, on an Abit BE6 II Rev. II motherboard with on-board ATA66 High Point
controler.I have built several systems and have never had problems like this
so i'm sure it's something i'm missing.The problem is the blue screen of
death! The critical error varies so much but usualy point's to the video
card. Once i get the blue screen of death it will only allow me to go to one
more screen to where it totaly lock's up.The problem seems to be a system
rescource conflict. I'm using windows 98 orriginal release and have tr
> ied it with second addition only to get the same results.Windows loads
without a glitch. In fact if i leave all the other software for the hardware
out it will opperate with the exception of the soundcard in which is
corrected in the device manager.At this point the ATA66 controler drivers
need loaded and the bus drivers.This get's a little tricky because in order
to load the drivers for the 440bx bus i have to copy the files to my hard
drive for once windows detects all the bus' it loses the cd-rom bus and i
have to point it to the files i copied of Intels Bus drivers in order to
complete the instalation.At this point everything is loaded with the
exception of the video card drivers. At this pint i can run Sisoft on it
without a lock up and the only problem i see is it reports a slow windows
system and suggests increasing system ram,So i did and it didn't help.At
this point i went ahead and loaded the g-400 updated drivers to no avail
even windows crashes after any attempt to access anything.I have t
> ried updated drivers for everything,the VXD fix,loading the video card
first, second last doesn't matter.I have tried loading windows on the ide 33
then switching to the ata66 with no luck.I have checked everything i could
think of in the bios (Softmenu III).Windows shows no conflicts in the device
manager.But yet everything seems to point to a sytem rescource conflict.as
if the hardware is being forced but is not.If i use a video card that is not
agp i have no problems with it.The ATA66 benchmarks are way to low according
to sisoft the seek time was at 44ms but the index mark is way off the scale
( may just be Sisoft )I have tried two seperate motherboard and G-400 cards
and get the same results. I have tried refrence drivers for the video card,
updated ata66 High Point drivers for the controler, Data Lifegaurd Utilities
and the drive checks out ok.I'm sure i have done more cause this has been
going on for two months with no luck. Please feel free to ask any questions
and give as much
> advice as possible, "I sure could use it"
>
> Thanks in advance to all!
> Robet W. Smith

It would be helpful if you could tell us what device is using each IRQ and
what slot each device is located in. Did you set any of the IRQ's for the
PCI slots in the BIOS?  I also am not sure why you would have to load the BX
bus master drivers as Win 98 should install the BX bus master drivers
without any problem.  The Highpoint ATA 66 uses the 3rd PCI slot from the
AGP slot, and this slot should not be populated.  You can then set the IRQ
for the ATA 66 in the BIOS.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html