From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 02:35:05 EST
In a message dated 12/2/2001 6:39:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I never use the DVD drive and plan to pull it out and replace it with a
new EIDE 60GB HD from Western Digital. I would like to clone the old C: drive
onto the new hard drive and use the new drive as my boot drive since it is a
7200RPM drive. I would then use the old hard drive as a backup and data
storage drive. I have read the instruction sheet from Western Digital and
this looks like a simple process since the software included with the new
drive is supposed to copy the old drive onto the new drive. As I understand
it, I just set the new drive as the master and the old as the slave. Pull the
DVD drive, install the new drive, copy over the files and when I reboot
everything will be copacetic. Am I missing anything here or is it as easy as
it seems? Thanks for your help. >>

Larry,

I just installed an ATA100 80gb 7200 rpm western digital on my system (PII
450 mhz and a SIIG controller card).  Tech support at western was great and
walked me through the whole thing.  The exception was that they said with a
controller card, their software to clone the drive won't work and will cause
conflicts etc.  Oh, and I had to remove the hd jumper completely to get it to
work.  You didn't mention if your drive was ATA100 or if it was working off a
controller card.  If yours is like mine, then this is just fyi.  Western
Digital tech recommended using third party software to clone the current C:
drive to the new drive.  Afterwards I would imagine that you would have to
fdisk and set the new drive as the active partition and remove the active
designation from your old drive.

I'm sure the wealth of experts on this list will have great suggestions on
how to proceed.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: