From:
TalkingDog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:03:03 -0600
Jim Dirksen wrote:
> I'm upgrading from an AMD Athlon 1.0GHz processor to a Intel Pentium
> 4 1.8MHz and motherboard. I would like to run my original OS configuration.
> Do I need to remove some system devices in Device Manager to allow Windows
> 98 to load properly the first time and config to my new motherboard and
> processor? I known I would have to remove these just before I shut down the
> last time, correct?

The following is from a post on another list about motherboard/cpu swap
in Win 9x. The instructions for Win NT/2k/XP may differ slightly.

> [...]
>
> First I suggest that before swapping the mobo that you start up in SAFE mode
> and delete EVERYTHING that shows up in device manager.  Using safe mode may
> cause devices to show up that will not show up in normal mode (especially if
> you did a "trial" startup with the new hardware before deleting the old).
> Additionally when you delete your mouse (or com ports if a serial mouse) in
> Safe mode the mouse will continue to work, but if deleted in normal mode many
> times it will stop working as soon as you delete it.  Delete your HD, Floppy
> and CD drives BEFORE you delete the controllers.  If you have SCSI then delete
> the devices before the controller also.  If controller cards are deleted
> before devices, there is a good chance that the device(s) will disappear from
> the Device Manager display also and you will not be able to delete them and
> you will still end up with junk in the registry.  Once you delete everything
> from device manager use regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum
> and delete this entire Key (which will also delete all its subkeys).  Some
> people will tell you that all you need to do is delete this key and not bother
> using Device Manager.  If you do this, it will delete everything as far as
> seeing it in device manager goes but will still leave a lot a un-necessary
> registry keys behind in other registry keys associated with the devices.  You
> can also navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class and delete any keys
> that are "category" keys such as CDROM, DiskDrive, FDC, HDC, Keyboard, Modem,
> Media, System, etc.  Basically you can delete just about all the keys that
> have a + sign to their left and have subkeys with names like 0000, 0001, 0002,
> etc.  Such subkeys will only exist if somewhere along the way hardware was
> re-dected or not completely removed.  Have such keys left over after deleting
> everything using device manager is not uncommon.   Do not delete the Printers
> key unless you deleted your printers first (and there is no need to do that
> for a mobo swap).  The reason for cleaning out these registry keys is that
> sometimes even if you do delete everything via Device Manager, due to past
> re-detection of hardware by Win9X, junk (un-used entries) gets left behind in
> these keys also, so you might as well clean them out.
>
> So to do the cleanest job, first delete everything in device manager, then
> delete registry keys.
>
> After the hardware swap, reboot and allow Win9X to re-detect everything and
> ALLOW it to reboot EVERY times it asks.  DO NOT answer no, thinking that you
> can just allow Win9X to continue detecting hardware and do only one re-boot at
> the end.  This is because in many cases Win9X can not properly detect some
> devices until other devices have been properly installed (IE: it can't
> properly detect drives until the controllers have been installed).

Sorry for my lack of originality, but this poster, (Roy), said it much better
than I ever could.
Larry Hooper

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>