From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:30:38 -0600
From: Jerry Rasmussen :Subject: [PCBUILD] HP Pavilion 6545C won't shutoff

> Hi gang,
> A client just purchased an HP Pavilion 6545C computer and brought it to me
> to load up a pile of software titles, install a NetGear FA310TX NIC, and
do
> some organization for him.  I setup a permanent swap file, installed all
of
> the software, installed the NIC, installed all windows 98 SE updates,
> updated Office 97 to SR-2b, ran ScanDisk and DeFrag.  After I finished all
> of that, I shut down the computer.  But, it hangs at the "Windows is
> shutting down" screen.  The only way to get it to shut off is yanking the
> plug or holding the OFF button in for 5-10 seconds.  Upon reboot,
everything
> is OK - no Scandisk or any note of not closing Windows properly.  I have
> repeatedly shutdown and rebooted with it consistently freezing at the
> shutting down screen.  I went to the HP 6500 Series Users Forum and saw at
> least 6 postings describing the same problem.  Some suggestions, none of
> which helped.  One was to disable hardware power control in BIOS, which I
> did.
>
> HP Pavilion 6545C with 500MHz Celeron / 128kb cache.
> 64 MB RAM (factory installed)
> 13 GB Western Digital HD (factory installed)
> HP CD-RW (factory installed) drive
> Video is on the motherboard
> USR modem (factory installed)
> Netgear FA-310TX network card (I installed)
> HP expanded (internet/cd/plus) keyboard
> HP wheel mouse.
> Windows 98, Second Ed.
>
> Any Ideas would be appreciated.   TIA,
>
> Jerry Rasmussen

Jerry,

Windows 98 SE has had this problem with some hardware configurations.
Microsoft has a patch to fix this problem, although I guess it has not
worked consistently for all computers.  Here is link with information on the
problem submitted by Michele Thuma:
http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/a/shtdwnse.htm

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: