From:
Bob Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:13:38 -0400
Don't rule out other causes, but just for the moment assume it may be a power supply problem. Make sure you have good 110 VAC to the computer's power supply, bypassing any questionable units, APC's, etc in the line. Check the  AC cable reseated and tight. If there's a 110/220V selector switch, make sure it's set properly. If you want to open the case, you will see the power supply box at the top rear. it should have a (total) rated watts listed. That could be too small for the computer if items have been added, or the power supply could be getting tired. Inside the case, you could disconnect the four prong power leads to non-essential items such as floppy drive, CD drive, etc. If the situation improves, it may tell you something. I would guess that the initial boot phase draws the most power and once the machine is running it could continue to run just fine.
For troubleshooting purposes, I've seen two computers placed side by side on the bench. The power supply from one was used to run the other. The connectors to the motherboard will be different on older/newer computers but drive connectors have stayed the same. I you are to replace the power supply, make sure the motherboard connectors match the board it will be used on.