From:
Harvey Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:47:39 -0500
At 12:44 AM 6/20/00 +1000, you wrote:
>The 80pin cable is used for ATA-66 drives, which is not suitable for old
>ATA-33
>drives. However you can use standard 40pin IDE cable for ATA-66 drives
>(except the
>ata-66 drive will run as a ata-33 drive). So unless you use another cable
>(40pin)
>for your 10G drive, the problem won't go away. You may need to take care
>IRQ issue
>if more than 2 IDE cables are used.

Does this mean that one cannot use a ATA-66 drive & a ATA-33 on the same
cable if using a 80pin cable. I guess one would run one off IDE2 and one
off IDE1. Would this affect the speed of the faster drive? As you say you
have to contend with IRQs. I take it the controller card is not plug &
play. Could both drives then could be configured as masters with one cable
80pin and the other 40pin? Has anyone done this before? I'll try and let
everyone know if it works. I am going to use Diskcopy to copy the old drive
to the new one. Is this possible if both are master and on separate IDEs?

Harvey Rose

Which is worse, to spend more than you expected or less than you
should?    Zig Ziglar

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html