From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:02:23 -0800
Here is some information about using a faster CPU on your model computer.
 http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic95496.html

You can find Celeron or P3 CPU's on EBay or Geeks.com for $20 to $50. If
that is all you need, go for it. CPU's are fairly easy to replace especially
since this motherboard automatically determines the appropriate settings.
You might want to search for and download CPU replacement instructions. The
primary cautions are grounding yourself, proper orientation of the CPU, and
good attachment of the heat sink and CPU cooling fan.

A new motherboard would require a new CPU, heat sink and fan; new memory;
and probably new case and power supply. In essence, a new barebone system.
TigerDirect.com has them for about $200 after rebates.
See
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1593167&CatId=1907 .
Other suppliers have similar deals. Putting it together using parts from
your existing computer is not hard, but, as a first timer, you probably
should be an apprentice. You can download detailed instructions from several
sites on the Internet.

These days you can get a complete computer with 17" monitor for as little as
$300. You get Windows XP and a warranty. And you save a lot of work.

Hope I haven't confused you even more. Good luck.

Tom Mayer