From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:56:30 -0700
Random freezes are usually an indication of an overheating problem. Check to
make sure all fans are operating and relatively clean. You will need to open
the case (make sure you are grounded) to check and clean inside. There has
recently been an extensive discussion on this forum on cleaning a PC. You
can check the archives. The two primary cautions are to avoid static
electricity and, if using compressed air, protect the fans from spinning too
fast. I personally use denatured alcohol and Qtips for fine cleaning.

Booting to Safe Mode loads a lot less drivers and therefor takes less effort
by the hard drive. After you are sure the computer is clean, see if the hard
drive still makes "unusual" noises. If so, backup your critical data as the
hard drive may be heading for failure. Depending on the manufacturer of your
hard drive, there may be diagnostic software available from them.
Fortunately, hard drives are now relatively cheap and most come with
software and directions for replacing existing drives and automatically
transferring over data from the old to the new drive. However, based on your
using Win98SE, you may have an older computer that limits the size of the
hard drive thereby limiting replacement options. Also the OS may limit the
drive size. You will need to check the documentation for both.

I'm sure you will get more suggestions. Hope this helps.

Tom Mayer