From:
andre chiasson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:54:31 -0400
Hi,

I double checked the information on the www.arlabs.com page, and the burner
is said to be used to reprogramme flash bios. Here is an excerpt of their
web page:

"The bios backup and repair kit (BIOS KIT) is specifically designed for the
backup, repair and analysis of corrupt or damaged computer motherboard bios
chips. Nearly all computers manufactured over the past five years have
motherboards which use bios chips based on flash memory technology. Flash
memory is ideal for bios applications as it allows updates without removing
the chip from the board. To that end, a flash bios is ideal until something
goes awry. Whether a computer virus, a malfunction during a bios update or a
random failure, once the bios program becomes damaged or corrupt, the
motherboard and computer are rendered useless. The BIOS KIT kit provides you
with a complete set of backup, analysis and repair tools for any standard
bios part. Note: The BIOS KIT must be connected to a working computer to
perform the backup, analysis and repair operations. The BIOS KIT cannot
repair a bios part if the chip itself is electronically defective."

Andre Chiasson

>From: David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>

>   I believe what you're referring to is a tool known as an "EPROM burner".
>
>   (Note that most modern motherboards use flash memory, rather than EPROM,
>to hold their BIOS code.  This allows the code to be rewritten ("flashed")
>by running special software, rather than by removing, reprogramming, and
>reinserting an EPROM chip.
>   It also means that EPROM burners, once merely uncommon, are now pretty
>rare.)
>
>David Gillett
>

>On 10 Apr 2003, at 7:12, andre chiasson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any idea of an excellent bios programming tool?  The type of machine
>that is
> > independent of the computer and in which you install the bios for
> > reprogramming.
> >
> > Thank you!
> > André Chiasson

                     visit our download web page at: