Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:16:45 +1300
We recently moved from Auckland, which a coastal city, to Arrowtown, a mountain resort which is well inland and about 1500 feet up.  Auckland's climate is very humid while Arrowtown's is extremely dry.

One result of the difference is that ESD or body electricity, which are infrequently observed in Auckland, is very noticeable in Arrowtown.  It's not uncommon for me to actually see and hear sparks fly from my hands to the car body when alighting from the vehicle, and I literally shocked a customer once, when he handed me a screwdriver as I lay under his computer desk.

So I'm always very aware of the need to take precautions against ESD.

To answer your question, Diane, about whether differences in furniture types affect the potential for ESD, I'm not aware of any - someone else might comment on this.  However, fluffy nylon carpet seems to affect the way that the charge builds up.

And re 'electro-whatevers in the air' as you put it :--)), I must say it seems logical that there ought to be, if you have a house full of electrical devices like most of us these days.

Actually, apart from static, it always amazes me that our bodies can function within the invisible, teeming morass of wireless signals that surround us.  I guess we've just evolved to do this.

Regarding your query about computer builders choosing components with consideration as to their vulnerability to ESD, I don't think any qualification of this nature has ever been considered by component makers, other than normal ISO manufacturing standards.

The problem of choosing decent computer components is difficult enough as it is without that particular complication being added;--))

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand