From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 22:24:43 -0400
At 16:28 05-07-98 -0400, Karl D. Ficenc wrote:
>I'm running a Motorola VoiceSurfr 56 modem on my Soyo 5EHM/K6-300
>system under W95 OSR 2.5. With the K56Flex protocol, W95 always
>indicated what I interpreted to be the modem connect speed, always
>38,000 to 44,000 bps. After I flashed to v.90, W95 now usually
>report a connect speed of 115,200 bps, which is what the maximum
>port speed is set to. On only 3 of more than 100 connections since
>flashing up to v.90, W95 reported a connect speed of 48,000 bps...

I've had this problem three times. (Once when I first installed
WinNT4, and then when I installed Win98 beta, and most recently when
I installed the retail Win98.) All three times, the problem was solved
by replacing the modem inf file in the c:\windows\inf folder with a
different, usually updated, version (and reinstalling the modem of
course). I tried putting commands in the "Extra Settings" space for
the modem in Device Manager, but that never helped.

For example, I always get the actual connect speed (usually 50,666)
when I put the curser over the DUN tray icon with Win95a. Until
yesterday, when in Win98, 115,200 was indicated every time, though
I probably didn't try it a hundred times. Yesterday I "deleted" the
modem and reinstall it with the new USR Courier modem inf file
"Courier V.Everything External P&P (V.90&x2)". I didn't have the
V.90 code in my modem's flash ROM then, but this inf file seems to
work great and I get the true speed again.

So make sure that you have a "V.90" modem inf file for your modem.
It will be called mdmxxxxx.inf with xxxxx something related to your
modem's manufacturer or model name. (Is the modem listed as V.90 in
Control Panel, Modems or in Device Manager, Modems?)

By the way... With my x2 modem I connect to my Internet Provider at
50,666 ninety percent of the time. (They use x2, not V.90.) I flashed
to V.90 (still x2 capable of course) today and my connections
immediately dropped to 45333. So I flashed back to x2 and I was
immediately back to 50666. I checked the V.90 connection rate dozens
of times (booting Win95, and Win98, and WinNT4) for four different
phone numbers (four different towns) over a two hour period and the
results were very consistant. I don't think it was just a busy period
while I was testing with V.90 since it took only three minutes to
flash to V.90 and experience slower connections and another three
minutes to flash back to x2 and get the faster connections. I am not
impressed with V.90.

Regards,
Bill