From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:46:45 -0700
One correction to Joe's message.  The current home phoneline network cards
operate at 11 mbps, same as the 802.11b wireless.  The first standard was 1
mbps.  However, Intel, one of the pioneers of that technology, is getting
out and is pushing WiFi.  Depending upon your phone lines, that type of
network can be reliable or not.  We have this network in our home and our
daughter's PC has always had a slower connection than the rest (why?
unknown).  I've also had 2 NIC's go bad in 3 years.  You would also want to
go with the Windows ICS rather than network software from the network card
vendors as it is prone to fewer problems.  A phoneline network is cheaper
than WiFi, but if you want to connect a laptop and roam about the house with
it, and buy the access point/wireless router to support it, the WiFi cards
for the rest of the network will cost about the same as the home phoneline
solution.

Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

>  From: "Joe Lore" <[log in to unmask]>

>If you do not want to run lines, then you can go a wireless router with
wireless adapters on the computers.
>There is a way to use existing wires in the house through a phone-net setup
to link the computers together inexpensively, but it is not very fast
(1mbps).

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com