From:
"Stephen K. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:39:51 -0500
Jim,

I'll try to be a clear as possible in this response as I am not very skilled
in PCs.  In any event, I had the same problem with my modem.  The modem
connect speed that I was receiving (57600) was the modem speed that I
selected in modem setup.  The following is the information that I received
from the manufacturer of my modem (3Com - U.S. Robotics).  It took a number
of e-mails but I was finally able to get the correct setting and software
for the modem so that it the connect speed would be correctly reported.
These are the relevant portions of their responses:

I understand that you are having a problem with your communications software
reporting a connection speed of 57K.

The modem is not communicating with the remote modem at 57,600 bps. What you
are seeing is the DTE rate, the speed the PC is communicating to your modem.
The DCE rate is the speed your modem is communicating to the remote modem.
What you want to have reported is the DCE speed, the communications speed
that the two modems negotiate when they connect.

The cause of the DTE speed being displayed is that Windows 9x is not using
the proper INF file for the modem. The INF file lists all the connect
messages the modem can produce. If you have an outdated file that does not
contain the proper connect messages for the modem, Windows 9x can not
determine what the DCE speed is, so it displays the DTE speed instead.  (The
acronym DTE stands for Digital Terminal Equipment. The acronym DCE stands
for Digital Communications Equipment.)

The solution to this problem is to download the most current INF file for
the modem from the manufacturer's Web site.

Once you have downloaded this file, there are a couple of ways you can
install it. You can copy it into the Windows/INF folder, or you can simply
install the drivers from the disk when reinstalling the modem. You would
want to do it this way if for some reason the modem is detected as a
Standard Modem. If this is the case, you would click on Change, then Have
Disk. Once the modem has been installed using the correct drivers, your
connect speed should be displayed normally.  If you are installing the
drivers directly from the disk when reinstalling the modem, and for some
reason your computer cannot read or locate the driver files on the disk,
your computer might just need a little
"help."  If you are installing the drivers from the driver disk, make sure
that you are directing the computer to look at A:\ (if A is not the name of
your floppy drive, use the right one)  If your computer cannot read the
drivers off the diskette, tell your computer to look at A:\. The period
after the "\" helps the computer properly read the file.  You will need to
uninstall and reinstall the modem in order to activate the
proper driver files. Uninstall the modem from the Modems icon in Control
Panel and reboot you system, as you have detailed above. You will then need
to remove any Com Ports which were added by the installation of a previous
modem. This can also be done from Device Manager or the modem Control Panel.

You can then copy the downloaded INF file into the C:\WINDOWS\INF directory.
Finally, select the Add New Hardware option from the Windows Control Panel.
If you did a Plug-and-Play install (removed all the jumpers) on your new
modem, you can reboot and let Windows detect your modem. If you did not do a
Plug-and-Play install, detect the modem yourself by choosing it's name from
the Models list.

You can also install these drivers from a floppy disk. Extract the
downloaded driver file to a floppy disk. Then, uninstall your modem from the
Modems icon in Control Panel, and reboot your system. Windows should detect
your modem on startup and begin the installation process. During this,
choose "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list," and then click
on "Have Disk." Direct the Wizard to look for drivers in the location of
your floppy drive (usually A:\) and place the floppy with the new .INF file
in the disk drive. Choose your modem from the listings, and the proper
driver should be installed for your modem.

You will only need the new modem driver file to reinstall the modem.

I hope the above is of value to you.

Steve Brown