From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:38:52 -0800
Michelle,

I have worked almost exclusively in Novell environments my entire IT career,
and this has got to be one of the weirdest ones I have seen yet.

As I am sure you are aware, the Novell client depends on certain Microsoft
dynamic link libraries.  It is possible that some other program is
corrupting one of these libraries, and a reinstall of the client wouldn't
fix it.  Only an OS reinstall would.  What you need to find is the common
thread among the machines it is appearing on.  Is there any new software
that is being installed on them.  Or, possibly, did the machines this happen
on also get recent virus updates, or some other program update?  I know
McAfee's last update was an engine overhaul, and we have not deployed it in
our 9000+ Novell network due to specific problems (I can't remember exactly
what the problem were...  that's what they pay the engineers for).

One other possibility, though I am sure you have probably already checked
for this, is an actual virus.  Possibly even (eeeeeeekkkkkkkk!!!!!) a
network OS virus (I know they are rare, but they do happen).  Anyway, hope
this helps.

Kyle