From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:36:27 -0700
At 12:06 AM 12/01/1999 , Greg Anderson wrote:
>I just installed an old Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 model CT2290 in a
>customers PC.  I did not get a "New Hardware Found" message when I installed
>the PC. I verified that there were no conflicts in device manager.  I
>downloaded the file "SBW9XUP.EXE" from Creative Labs site and then executed
>the file.  I added went to ADD NEW HARDWARE and it found the SB16 card.  I
>booted and tried went to SOUNDS in Control Panel. I tried to listen to the
>Windows Exit sound. The sound would start and then stop.  When I double
>click on the speaker in system tray it showed the graph/bar for WAVE was
>about 1/4 way up. It did not disappear.  I had to reboot the computer to get
>the BAR for the Wave file to go away.
>This system is AMD k6-2 450MHz, FIC 503+ mobo, 32MB PC100 SDRAM and WIN98
>SE.

This is common with Windows98 and SB 16 cards.

Windows98 does not realize that the SB16 card needs either IRQ5 or IRQ7
to function properly...  and often assigns it  IRQ9 or IRQ10, probably IRQ9.

Just go into the driver and change the resources on the card from IRQ9 to
IRQ5...   even if you need to replace the current IRQ5 assignment on another
device.  Also, give it DMA1 and DMA5...  this is optimal for most games also.

The problem should disappear.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,