From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 07:17:19 -0600
At 08:42 AM 05/31/2000 , you wrote:
>I have a Micron TransPort NX with a Micron docking station that is equipped
>for USB. What would be a good backup solution for this? It has the LS120
>drive in it but that would take too many disks and time for the 5+ gig hard
>drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can purchase an IDE/ATA hard drive and an external USB drive
enclosure, using a 8gig drive.  The drives are currently around $100
and the enclosure will cost about $85.  Basically, you will have an
external hard drive for backup purposes that will cost you about $200.
This external drive can be any size that is currently available on the
market...  so you can not only use it for a backup of your notebook,
but also for additional storage for files and data.

You can go with a traditional solution like an Iomega Jazz drive.  They
cost in the neighborhood of $350, hold up to 2gigs on a single disk.  You
will need the USB adaptor for this drive, which will cost around $75
extra.  The other issue is that cost of the 2gig disks, that cost nearly
$120 each.  With buying two disks this solution would cost you around
$665...  that is a bit expensive for most people.
    http://www.iomega.com

Yet another  option would be an USB external CD-RW drive.  This
would require numerous disks, upwards of 10 CDs to backup your
system.  The cost on this with 10 disks would run about $350 or so.

Then there are the backup tape options, one of the better products I
have seen for USB is the Onstream USB backup tape system:
    http://www.onstream.com/desktop/usb30_e.html
These drives are 15gig/30gig compressed and one tape should do the
job.  They advertise the drives to run at about 3gigabyte an hour, so
understand a backup can take from 2 to 4 hours to complete.
This will cost you around $350 or so for the drive and the tapes cost
about $50 a piece.

There are other options, but I would recommend using an external hard
drive in a USB enclosure.   It will be the fastest and cheapest solution.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html