From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:34:58 -0400
Brad Boutwell wrote:
 > I just got a 21" monitor with BNC inputs and have received
 > advice telling me I should use a BNC cable with it for
 > optimum performance. I don't quite understand how using a
 > cable that goes from a standard 15-pin DSUB (vga) connector
 > on my video card (Matrox G400 MAX) to the BNC connectors on
 > the monitor could INCREASE the quality. If it is still going
 > through the DSUB at the card, how can coming out the BNC
 > connecters improve the quality?

Hi Brad

You can get a high quality 6 foot video cable with a 15 pin
high density D-sub connector at one end and 5 BNC connectors
coming out the other end (for red, blue, green, vertical sync
and horizontal sync) from B.G. Micro <http://www.bgmicro.com/>
The part number for this $15.95 cable is CAB1076 at
<http://www.bgmicro.com/pdf/page10.pdf>.

I bought three of these a few months ago and am very pleased
with their quality and with B.G. Micro. in general.

Of the 15 lines from the 15 pin HD mini D-sub connector,
7 are ground lines, 2 are for VESA DDC use only, and one
line is for bi-directional data.

Using a cable with only the five lines works fine for me.
Obviously the shielding in my cable is good enough to make up
for the missing 7 ground lines, and the two VESA DDC lines are
not missed.

Not having the line for bi-directional data means that the
monitor will not be plug and play with Win9X. But you can
identify your monitor when Win9X asks you, so I don't feel
that there is any loss here.

I do feel that the picture is a bit brighter and sharper with
the BNC ended cable...but it's a close call. More importantly
perhaps, you can connect two computers to the monitor by using
both BNC and D-sub inputs on the back of the monitor. You
switch between the two computers using the monitor's controls.

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html