Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:21:30 -0800
Dave Littlehale wrote:

> Advice needed on this project.  Trying to install a 6.4 Western Digital
> hard drive.  The first hard drive I bought was defective and it turns
> out that my BIOS does not support larger drives.  It only recognized it
> as being a 2.1 GB drive.

Dave:
You have several choices. I too bought the same drive and my system also
has the 2.1 gig limitation due to the original fat 16 restrictions.

1. Upgrade your system to Win95b.With this version you should be able
   to enter the entire drive size and keep it all on one primary
   partition. The easiest way to perform the upgrade is to delete
   win.com or rename it. This should allow an easy and uncomplicated
   install. However, be sure to back up your registry and your data
   before doing this.

2. Do as I did. I just made my 6.4 gig one 2.1 primary, with an extended
   partition which has 2 logical drives within it. I run Winnt 4.0 and
   Win 95 on my home network and must keep fat 16 in order to be able
   share between the the 2 Os's.When NT 5.0 hits the market I will be
   able to run Win 95b or maybe even Win98 depending on NT's new built
   in compatibility.

3. The 3rd choice is to make a 2.1 gig primary partition with fdisk.
   Get a copy of Partition Magic by Powerquest and change your drive's
   parameter's using this utility. I have used it many times and have
   never had a problem yet!

I would strongly suggest that you not use EZ drive for overlay. I know
a lot of people who have had major problems with this program after it
somehow had become corrupted. How many times have you reloaded Win95 in
the past? Well if you have to reload ezdrive you will probably loose
all of your data. Get the point?

Hope this helps:

_
Barry A. Clark