From:
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:02:36 -0700
If this is a new drive installation, it probably just
needs to be changed from slave to master, or
vice-versa. Your drive documentation will explain this
better than I can. This solved this problem for me,
anyway. The way I tested it was to swap the cable
connectors. I had my jumper set to master, but
connected it to the slave connector on the flat cable.
But when I just connected the master... It
automatically recognized it. (It is a lot easier to
change the cable connection than the jumper, so this
is a very good test.) It is always a good idea,
though, to get rid of the dust in there, as it can
cause a host of problems, including overheating. To
clean mine, I just use the hose of my vacuum cleaner.
(Make sure there are no loose parts in there that
could get sucked up.)

Amy Ledford

--- Miriam Glickman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 8400.  I'm having a hard
> time getting the dvd drive recognized ... I can't
> access it at all.  If I go into run, it will not
> recognize my "e" drive at all even though I put the
> dvd in there!
>
> It is pretty dusty ... is it possible that is the
> problem?
>
> Which brings me to the next question.  Would it be
> possible for someone to give me explicit directions
> on how to clean it up?
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Miriam
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners: