From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:31:58 -0800
I used to go through all the hoops to get to where you want to be. The
last two Western Digital drives I've bought ("retail" not "OEM") came
with a program and simple to follow directions that made the switch very
easy. I've heard on this and other forums that other drive manufacturers
have the same or similar provisions. You might want to make this one of
your drive selection questions while shopping.

Tom Mayer

Michael A. Wosnick wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am currently am running XP Pro (media center) and have 2 SATA drives. I
> have just ordered a 3rd drive, larger and faster than either of the other 2.
> Eventually I may retire the smallest of the 3, but for now plan to have all
> 3.
>

> I want to make the new, faster, larger-cache drive as my boot drive but
> prefer not to re-install Windows and all of my programs. Here is what I am
> assuming I can do, but want a reality check or advice to the contrary if I
> have this all wrong :(
>

> If I make an image of the current C: partition on Drive 1, say with Norton
> Ghost or similar (advice as to which program to use is welcome please!) can
> I simply transfer the image to the new HD, which I assume as soon as I plug
> it in will be assigned by the OS to have a drive letter that is not C:
> (let's call it X: for now).
>

> That gets my current C: drive image over to Drive 2 on a new partition
> called X:. If I then change the Drive letter of the current bootable C:
> partition (on Drive 1) to something else arbitrary that is not yet in use,
> and changed the assigned Drive letter (X:) on Drive 2 to now be C: and then
> re-boot the whole machine, will I in fact be booting from the new drive, and
> have my system resident on the new drive, but keep all my paths and
> references as they are now and allow me to not to have to re-install
> everything?
>

> Or will I not even be able to boot at all and really have screwed myself to
> the wall, because I am not understanding, or am overlooking, something
> fundamental?
>

> All advice welcome, please.
>

> Michael

                     visit our download web page at: