From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:53:20 -0700
Dean & Bob

I started out with the free version for about 30 days and it worked so
well I gladly paid for it. I've run several security tests since then
and have always tested as having a very secure system.

I would try more than one security test to be sure I was not getting
biased results. Try www.grc.com as I have only heard positive comments
on their tests and fixes for many years. Also, if you are using wireless
connections, make sure you have the wireless portion of the LAN set up
as secured.

Tom Mayer

Dean K. Kukral wrote:
> "You might want to try "Network Magic" to set up and maintain your LAN.
> www.networkmagic.com
>
> I have been using it for a couple of years and have avoided a lot of
> frustration.
>
> Tom Mayer"
>
> I, too, have been using Network Magic ever since I read about it on this
> list AND I got a free copy with my DLINK router (so that I knew that it
> was a legitimate product).   I purchased the 8-user version and am
> almost maxed out with my router, printer, computers,  and TIVO's
> connected.
>
> However, a test by an anti-malware product (I think that it might have
> been the online Norton tester) showed that a large number of ports were
> open, thereby subjecting me to some exposure to malware.
>
> I wonder if Network Magic is the cause of all these ports being open, or
> not?  I am not sure how to tell.  Nor am I sure if I close them, will
> Network Magic continue to work properly?  (I know almost nothing about
> networking.)
>
> Dean Kukral

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com