From:
"C. Kuni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:23:59 -0800
I posed this question on the paleodiet yahoo group some time ago, so bear with me if you are on both lists.  That discussion ended up in a fruitless debate about whether people should participate in endurance running -- not really what I was after.  So I'll try again here....  Can anyone who is running long distances (40-60 miles per week) describe what kinds of fuel they bring on their long runs?  Obviously energy gels and gummy bears aren't going to be on the list anymore.  What have your energy needs been like on runs over 90 minutes?  What have you found that is portable, not too bulky, and easy to eat on the run?

Related question: One of the adaptations of distance running is an increase in the mitochondria of the runner's muscles.  Has anyone seen any information related to the effect of the Paleo Diet on the size and number of mitochondria, apart from the exercise effect? I would think that, since our fat metabolism occurs in these cells, the diet alone might promote mitochondrial growth.

Thanks,
Cynthia