From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:23:06 EST
In a message dated 1/17/2007 2:40:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Higher levels of membrane saturated fatty acids seem to greatly impair the
action of insulin, whereas the presence of polyunsaturated fatty acids,
especially of the omega-3 and -6 families, in contrast, improves insulin sensitivity.
I don't believe that -- I wallow in saturated fat (meat fats, lard and
coconut oil) and my fasting glucose is in the 60s.  Also, if saturated fat within a
low carb diet context  impaired the action of insulin -- then why do diabetics
placed on high saturated fat, low carb, moderate protein regimes see their
glucose improve??  See Barry Groves site for more info:

Correct dietary treatment for Diabetes-2. Part 5: The evidence that a
high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet is better for diabetics

Diabetes, Part 6: The correct diet for a Type-2 diabetic, (or treatment
without drugs)

(NOTE:  The second link includes the following specific advice for those with
high morning glucose readings:

"NOTE: There are two points from a diabetic point of view:

A diabetic should cut out the fruit at breakfast time if he/she notices the
"Dawn Phenomenon" (higher blood glucose levels on waking than before going to
bed).
The small meal in the evening will ensure that blood glucose overnight and in
early morning does not go too high"