Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:51:51 -0800
> Kristin M. Daniels wrote:
>
> ... Unfortunately I also lost 10 pounds and I have a
> sneaking suspicion that I went into ketosis because I was peeing so much.
> ... I need some guidance on what to eat on this
> diet if one wants to put on muscle and not lose 10 lbs in two weeks.

Just before I went paleo my weight was hovering around 155. When I went
paleo my weight dropped to around 135. That's 20 pounds I really wasn't
trying to loose. I too am trying to gain muscle mass. The thing I noticed
was that my weight made a sudden drop and then leveled off. I also noticed
better muscle definition. I can almost see those washboard abbs!

The trick to ensuring that you don't loose muscle mass along with the fat is
to maintain a decent protein intake. For my weight between 80 and 100 grams
per day is a reasonable goal. Some recommend 1 gram per pound of body weight
but that can be nearly impossible when getting your protein from meat. A
more reasonable goal is 1/2 gram per pound of body weight. I also suspect
that adequate carbs or fat are needed to ensure that most of that protein is
available for building muscle instead of being burned as fuel. Also be sure
to drink enough water. I always have water near me so when the urge strikes
I can just pick up a glass bottle and drink.

Botton line, I wouldn't worry about the weight loss. Feeling good had having
a good appetite is far more important than holding on to an extra 10 pounds
of fat.

Also, the muscle gain can be slow. It can take a year to gain 10 pounds of
muscle mass. It all depends on how much time you spend lifting weights.

Some tips I learned:
1. Do at least 10 minutes of cardio (treadmill, bike, etc..) after lifting
weights. This helps alleviant the next-day muscle ache.
2. Change rep count occasionally. This keeps you from hitting a plateau.
Some choices are: 5-7 reps to failure, 12-15 reps to failure, pyramid and
reverse pyramid. The pyramid style is where you start with a weight that you
can list 15 times then when you hit failure, you pick a heavier weight and
lift that to failure. You keep doing this until you h=can only lift a weight
once. The reverse pyramid is the opposite. Start with something you can only
list once and then keep decreasing the weight.
3. Don't work a muscle group more than once every 48 hours. Your body needs
at least that much time to repair/build. I do lifting and 30 minutes of
cardio on Mon, Wed and Fri, and 30 minutes of cardio on Tue and Thr.

-Tad