From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 20:47:16 EDT
Don:

Thank you for the logical and clear pictures of pemmican making.  I always
make my pemmican with either frozen or fresh venison or bison meat -
sometimes a bit of both.  I also always dehydrate it at 95 degrees (F) in an
my Excalibur.  The jerky comes out delicious and not too dry.  Then I
pulverize it at the Liquefy setting on my blender, and usually mix 6 cups
powdered meat to 1.5 cups rendered fat.  Sometimes I get a few fibrous white
strands which wrap around the blade of the blender.  I just manually pull
those out, and mix them into the powder.  They give a nice texture to the
pemmican.

One other tip - you might enjoy having your pemmican in the form of muffins.
I just manually put the warm pemmican into a non stick muffin tray, filling
each only half way.  This way, each pemmican snack is only 2 ounces, and
doesn't overshoot my calorie load for the day...I  then pop the tray into the
fridge. From the 6 cups of pulverized meat, and 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
and 1.5 cups fat, I can usually get 16 muffins.   In 4 hours, its hardened
enough for me to pop the meat muffins into a plastic container, where they
stay for months in the refrigerator (actually, not months, because they
disappear like hotcakes - or should I say, muffincakes.....).  You might find
the muffin shape to be less "chunky".

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl