From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:44:31 -0800
>>If the deer survive  the TB  and the human pressures on his environment
>>there is no reason why i will not survive it ever.
>
>But are humans really ready to eat much of the flesh of big
>aninals? Potentially infected with deseases that tend to infect
>big (and older) animals like the human animal?

The Url http://www.medscape.com/14726.rhtml that Kathryn presented to us 2
days ago is talking about pathogens infecting sprouts. It is not only the
big mammals but every, plants and animals who carry pathogens. But yes, may
be , more the being used as food is far remove from us less they have chance
to carry the same pathogens than us.

>Humans are able only since the inventions of long range and strong
>weapons to kill-and-eat big animals.
>How would a gorilla or a australopithecus afarensis catch and kill
>a gnu or a gazelle?

easy for a primate to come after the lion share of a kill . Almost all
instinctive eaters prefer the meat quite aged indicating that scavenging
dead carcasses have been there longer for us than relying on fresh kill that
like you mentionned necessitate somme tools or techniques of hunting.

>And if raw big game meat constitutes a health or death danger
>how long could a homo xyz-sis consume significant amounts before
>a deadly infection? They all didn't get much older than 40
>before the Cro Magnon, Jared Diamond writes.

I will be prudent about estimating ages from Bones
the references point for age in bones are the modern human that might age
his bone very artificially earlier that what you will found in an healthier
hominoid. A 40 year old modern  human bone  might look like a 100 year old
bone from an ancestor. Who knows?

>All this time most probably fire was there to help killing off
>parasites in the meat. Fire may be our adaption technique
>for eating more probable infected meats.

If the pathogen is really pathogen. It seems to me that this fear of germs
is like being fearful of vultures when you are alive. Peoples see vultures
everytime there is a dead body, and accuse them to be responsible for the
kill. The fact that pathogens are present in "infectous disease" doesn't
mean they are responsible for it.
Instead of focusing on what is going to eat me once i am dying or dead  , I
prefer to focus on what keep me well alive to be able to smile at the sight
of vultures.
But may be contemporary human don't feel alive enough and get scared when
they see the vultures gathering.

Getting busy with them is most likely to contribuate to the exhaustion,
better to spend this time looking for what is nourishing .

<Stomach acidity is not.
I wonder how the bear ( or other omnivorous animals) is doing with its
stomach acidity when it is switching from blue berry eating to salmon
 decaying and infected by the way)

jean-claude