From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:48:01 -0600
> I think if there is such a thing as ADD in children, it's caused by
> high
> junkfood/sugar/carb diets.

Yes ..... and no.

Yes, because kids with ADD seem predisposed to react to junky foods more
than non-ADD kids.

No, because it is *not* the 'cause' of ADD (no matter how much we'd like it
to be). Without a doubt
it's a contributor, but it's not the 'cause'.

Give the wrong snack to a 'normal' kid, and they might get slightly
hyperactive (figity) for a short
period. Give the wrong snack to an ADD kid, and you may wind up with a kid
bouncing off the
walls for hours.

I know. *I* am ADD (although not severely). It is actually a plus in my
profession. And my son is
much more severly ADD than I.

Some researchers believe that the kind of ADD hyperactivity and
hyper-sensitivity we can't stand
today may have been a *big* plus for a hunter-gatherer.