From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 22:21:30 -0400
On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Troy Gilchrist wrote:

> Regarding the subject of high cholesterol, no one seems to be mentioning
> the fact that it's not the total cholesterol count that is considered of
> primary importance. Rather it is the ratios of LDL to HDL and HDL:Total
> Cholesterol that doctors stress in determining risk for heart disease.

That's correct, and even the meaning of the ratios is somewhat in
dispute.  Nevertheless, there is fair agreement that the lower
the ratio of LDL to HDL, the better.  In my own case, my initial
HDL of 35 would be considered just adequate, while the LDL of 242
is a mess.  Since then I have only measured my total cholesterol,
and it is drifting downward.  I have discarded the low
measurement of 205, since subsequent measurements have not been
consistent with it, and it is doubtful that total cholesterol
makes such quick and drastic swings.

As of today, my total cholesterol is 276, down from 286 a week
ago and 302 before that.  Until I know differently, I am assuming
that this drop is mostly or completely in LDL.

I am still on a NeanderThin diet, but have increased the ratio of
chicken and turkey to red meat.  I am still eating some red meat,
however.  One can eat just so much chicken.  I am still
supplementing with fish oil, since I don't eat much fish.  To
stimulate the action of the liver producing bile acids to dump
the cholesterol out, I am using the herb Milk Thistle.  And in
the last couple of days I have added extra fiber, in the
contra-NeanderThin form of unprocessed oat bran.  I consume about
two ounces of the stuff a day.  Grapefruits, too.

Atkins has a theory that LDL itself functions as an antioxidant,
and that elevated LDL means that the body is under "oxidative
stress."  Easing this stress by means of antioxidants would in
theory let the body produce less LDL.  I don't know if this is
true, but it's interesting that Milk Thistle is itself a potent
antioxidant.

Todd Moody