Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:58:11 -0400
"B. Stone" wrote:

> Hello Again.
>
>     Well, I thought I could handle it...  but I can't.  I never realized
> how much of my diet before paleo was bread and bread products.  Please,
> does someone have any ideas on how to lick this desire to eat all things
> flour?
FWIW the bread/potatoes/other starches cravings were divided into several
stages for me. For the first 3-4 weeks I constantly and actively craved them.
So if you are still in the first few weeks of this diet, take heart - it gets
a lot easier soon. Then I passively craved them - didn't really want any
until I had some, then I would have to gobble up all there was to consume.
In other words, if I had a bite, I couldn't put it down - had to finish it.
That lasted for about 7-8 months. Then I didn't craved starchy foods at
all, but would still enjoy it if I had any. After about 1.5 years most
starchy carbs stopped appealing completely.

> I noticed in the Walnut Acres
> Catalogue that there is nut flour available but, for what I can spend, I
> figure I could only afford enough for a muffin.
You can make nut flour yourself fairly easily. Just use a coffee grinder
to grind nuts. Most will grind into nice powder (macadamia nuts will not).
There are places where you can buy nuts fairly cheaply. If there is a
Trader Joe's around you should look into it - most nuts are about $3.50/lb
some even cheaper and they have a pretty good selection.

> Even if I could, how do
> you make nut bread rise w/o yeast (which I assume is not paleo).
I have never made bread out of nut flour, but I have made Belgian
waffles (using a waffle maker). Can't really tell you the recipe
since I was fooling around with different things and haven't written
down what I used. They looked just like real one, but were a lot
more filling - you'd be rather hard pressed to eat more than one,
if that. They also taste a LOT more nutty, some people find the
taste overpowering.

Ilya