Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:52:52 -0500
Hi Mary,

> >Domesticated cats and dogs are probably among the smartest of
>> animals. Would you claim that they too are attempting to "remove
>> themselves from their source"? Or are they just very smart animals
>> who know better than to refuse the luxury of riding along in life with
>> the most advanced species on earth?

> Dear Gordon,
>
> Most domestic animals are very sick. They are sick from vaccines,
> antibiotics, and poor nutrition.

Well then shame on us for not taking better care of our pets!

That has no bearing on the point I was making, however. The argument was
made that humans are "spinning out" from their "center", which was defined
as humans "attempting to remove themselves from their source, from the
natural environment that sustains them". The implication was that this was
wrong action for our species, with possibly dire consequences. So I pointed
out that our dogs and cats seem to enjoy coming along with us for the ride,
which means that if we are to accuse humans of having gone astray then we
should also indict poor Rover and Mittens.

In my view Rover and Mittens are innocent and righteous; they are only doing
what any smart animal would do if offered the opportunity to enjoy some of
the luxuries afforded by human life "away from the natural environment that
sustains them". Now then if I am right to declare our pets innocent and
righteous for accepting the luxuries of human life then why should humans
not also be considered just as innocent and righteous for doing the same?

Do you see my point? There is no wrong action involved. There is no lost
human species "spinning out from their center". There are only intelligent
animals seeking to improve their lot in life, with the human animal leading
the trend. We should be happy and proud of our role as the most intelligent
species on earth, and optimistic about our future.

In some factions of the Christian religion (just to use a familiar example)
and in almost every cult there is almost always someone who predicts doom
and gloom and the end of the world if people don't change their ways. These
people help to attract converts to the religion because confused people
often feel insecure and incomplete.

-gts