From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 11:19:40 -0400
> On Behalf Of Adrienne Smith
> My father was thin all his life yet got Type II in his early 40s.  When he
> was first diagnosed, conventional medicine told diabetics to meticulously
> count carbs.  He did so, never needed insulin and remained slim until the
<snip!>

Hello Adrienne.  My father developed diabetes when most of the beta cells
were
destroyed during a bout of pancreatitis caused by an endoscopy investigating
gall stones.  He does secrete a bit of insulin but requiresshots.  He is
an engineer and can be 'resistant' to certain thinking off the 'norm' :)  I
gave him a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is a low carb
approach to treating diabetes.  I think my father responded to this book for
several reasons, among them being that Dr. Bernstein was a type 1 diabetic,
he was 'fragile' and developed complications, successfully treated himself,
was an engineer before becoming an MD and had a very 'engineer-like'
approach
to his illness.  I think the book is well written and informative.  You
might
give this book a shot, I imagine someone with multiple degrees wouldnt mind
a bit of reading :)

  Wade