From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 11:00:19 -0500
My father was thin all his life yet got Type II in his early 40s.  When he
was first diagnosed, conventional medicine told diabetics to meticulously
count carbs.  He did so, never needed insulin and remained slim until the
American Diabetic Association began parroting the food pyramin hogwash and
pushing 3 (or more) starch units PER MEAL!  My father followed this
horrific advice dished out by his doctor and the ADA -- began gaining
weight especially around his stomach and eventually needed insulin shots to
regulate his wildly fluctuating sugar.  When I asked him why he tests his
sugar several hours after a meal, he said because testing right after a
meal would show sky high sugar levels.  I asked him if he thought that a
diet that creates sky high sugar levels right after meals sounds like a
rational approach for a diabetic.  I reminded him that his weight has
progressively blossomed and he now needs insulin shots -- neither of which
occurred when he kept carbs low after first being diagnosed 40 years ago.
He said he asked his doc about low carb and the doc said that "nonsense" is
old fashioned. He told me not to worry about his sugar levels because he
can always just give himself an extra dose of insulin.   My father has
prostate cancer and I told him that he should be trying to reduce or get
off the insulin if possible -- but I feel like I'm speaking to a wall.   My
father is an intelligent man (3 degrees from Harvard) yet has been
completely brainwashed by the conventional medicine system and the ADA.  I
sent him to a special cancer system where NON food pyramid nutritionists
offer dietary and supplement support as an adjunct to conventional
medicine.  The naturopath recommended a PALEO-LIKE regime and told my
father that as a diabetic and cancer patient he is eating FAR TOO MANY
GRAINS AND SUGARS.  He advised my father eat more clean animal protien and
replace all the starch/sugars with non-starchy veggies.  I thought my
father understood but he just visited me and insisted on having 3
heaping "starch units" with EACH MEAL all while complaining that his pants
are getting too tight. I give up.