From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:33:46 +0200
From: "Adrienne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: Cortisol etc

> In a message dated 6/17/03 12:53:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> > I do eat lots of walnuts
>
> I would stop this for a while.  Too much polyunsaturated fat.  Try
replacing
> these calories with saturated fat whether from animal fat, eggs (not the
> special omega-3 ones -- just regular organic) or coconut oil.

Nobody in western societies need to raise their saturated fats. The only
fats you need to raise is polyunsaturated (like in fat fish)and
monounsaturated (like in olive oil). The saturated fats raises the risk of
death caused by a cardiac arrest. The Kitavan ate a lot of saturarted fat in
the form coconuts but not
oil and their total intake of fat did not raise over 20%.

> Simultaneously, try
> lowering your protein intake a bit and definitely keep carbs (even berry
> carbs) low.

The same thing here. We eat too little of protein and too little of low carb
foods. You sent us detailed info on your different blood tests and the
amount and sort of exercise you do but said very little of what you actually
eat and nothing about how much you weigh.

Theola wrote this earlier:

>ravenously hungry in the evenings to the point that I'm totally distracted
>by it....and can't resist.  And I recognize it as carb hunger. I think
>there's something bio-chemical going on with my hormones and I'm trying to
>self-medicate via food.

Yes, I'm sure there is something you body lacks and is trying to fix. I've
read through your mails, Theola, and the only thing I see is a clever and
wise woman (who sometimes is Matt Baker!?) with great concern for others so
I almost feel impertinent, but, what is ''''compounded
bio-identical/"natural" hormones ''''?

In an earlier message you say that you slimmed to get into a bikini in the
70's. Could it be that you are in fact not fat at all but striving to be
slimmer than, well normal or ...BMI or...?

I realize there is much disagreement over the omega-3/polyunsaturated
> fat issue on this board, but since you are gaining and not losing fat, it
> couldn't hurt to try a different approach for say 2 weeks to see if it

This is fat proportions in walnutoil:
Saturated fatty acid is 8 -10 %
monounsaturated fatty acid is16 - 19%
polyunsaturated fatty acid: omega-6 is 55 - 65 % and omega-3 is 10 -15%

This is coconut oil:
Saturated fatty acid: up to 94%
Monounsaturated fatty acid: 3 -7%
Polyunsaturated fatty acid: omega-6:  1-2%

Personally I think that all sorts of oils are not paleo except olive oil
because that is the only berry that you could easily sqeeze oil from so the
paleos might have done that but I cannot understand why they should.

Now, if we feel that we want to use oil it is best to use one that is low on
omega-6 or olive oil or a mixture of this. That is linseed/flax oil which is
not good for frying or rape oil which is good for frying. But, consuming any
pressed oil cannot be truly paleo, as far as I can see it.
Glad Midsommar!
Eva