From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:49:58 -0500
Ann Mullikin wrote:

> On 07-08-97 Troy Gillchrist says,
>
> <Diets such as the Zone or Dr. Ornish's may "work" sor some peope in the
> near-term, but the long-term effects of fatty red-meat deprivation have yet
> to ne determined in such diets.>
>
> PLEASE - don't lump Dr. Sears' diet with Dr. Ornish!!!!!!!

Obviously, if one were to choose between THE ZONE and Dr. Ornish's
recommendations, the wiser choice would the former. The reason being
that eating according to the dictates of THE ZONE is more in line with
the evolution of our species than is the almost completely vegetarian
regimen of Dr. Ornish.

Keep in mind, however, that all so-called diets are just labels. Your
body doesn't know whether you're on Weight Watcher's, Pritikin, Atkins,
Neanderthin, etc.-- these are just names attached for the convenience of
our intellects. Your body responds to its environment (food included) as
if you were an Upper Paleolithic hominid, because that is exactly what
it is.

People who switch from a civilized diet to any diet with even the
vaguest resemblance to African savannah fare are virtually guaranteed
some level of health improvement. The question is "How far am I willing
to go in bucking the demands and desires of my civilized--
domesticated-- personality and culture in favor of the health of my
organism?" For people who can't give up certain civilized
foods...well...they just have to be willing to bet that their immune
system won't be too harsh on them. Anf I were to take such a gamble, I
would certainly put my money on THE ZONE as opposed to Dr. Ornish.

I would never condemn anyone's personal choice to not be as strict in
their dietary habits as am I. If someone can't live without ice cream,
who am I to deny him or her their pleasure. But truth, nature, the
universe cannot be avoided. By eating as we are designed we take
advantage of our evolution instead of contradicting it in favor of
short-term pleasure or the weaknesses of personality.

Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Co-author, NEANDERTHIN: A CAVEMAN'S GUIDE TO NUTRITION