From:
William Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:13:52 +0000
Todd Moody wrote in response to Lurisia Dale:
> >I have yet to hear of a professional athlete,
> >professinal body builder, or marathon runner who
> >competes while in ketosis.
> >
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=
>PubMed&list_uids=6865776&dopt=Abstract
>
>I guess cyclists qualify as endurance athletes.

Interesting article... if you read it further...

This was a study of "well-trained cyclists" and the exercise test was
performed at 62%-64% of VO2max. Have you any idea how low an intensity this
is for a trained athlete? It's abysmally slow and will not induce any
training effect, let alone be sufficiently intense to compete at (except in
ultradistance maybe, we're talking 24-48hr competition). It's what we'd call
a 'recovery' workout. I wonder what their results showed at different
intensities and whether this supportive finding was cherry picked from the
data because at higher intensities performance suffered?

Lurisia is correct that it is not possible to pursue athletic ambition
without sufficient carbohydrate. Now, that does not mean 60-70% carbs per
day is absolutely necessary, but significant carbs are necessary to be able
to train at a level that induces a training effect. I follow a Paleo diet as
much as possible, but before, during and after training you need to restock
those carbs otherwise it's not possible to be competitive in an intense
sport.

Someone mentioned Gordo Byrn's site earlier. He is not a low-carb follower
and he is often at pains to point this out. He does follow a Paleo diet, but
does use carbs to restore glycogen after training (and his training is high
volume low intensity for Ironman Triathlon, so his carb requirements are
lower than for athletes racing short distance).

Will.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger