From:
Lurisia Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:38:23 -0800

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6865776&dopt=Abstract

> I guess cyclists qualify as endurance athletes.
>
> The authors conclude, "These results indicate that
> aerobic endurance
> exercise by well-trained cyclists was not
> compromised by four weeks of
> ketosis."  In fact, the data showed a modest
> *improvement* in
> performance after four weeks of ketosis.  On a
> balanced diet they
> reached exhaustion at 147 minutes.  In ketosis it
> took 151 minutes.
>
> The two kinds of exercise you mention above, body
> building (i.e., weight
> training) and distance running are physiologically
> very different.  The
> body builder preferentially works the fast-twitch
> muscle fibers, which
> require glucose.  I'd be inclined to agree with you
> that being in
> ketosis would probaby cause problems for
> high-intensity weight
> training.  Distance running, however, is aerobic
> exercise, and ketosis
> should be no problem.  Phinney's results suggest
> that after adaptation
> one might even see some improvement in running
> times.  Why isn't anybody
> doing this?  I have no idea.  Maybe they just don't
> know about it, or
> have been indoctrinated into the "carb loading"
> mindset.  Also, the fact
> that it takes several weeks of adapation would put a
> lot of people off.
> Initially, performance would decline, and athletes
> don't like that.
>
> Todd Moody

Todd,

Thank you for actually reading through my post and
taking the time to respond thoughtfully.  Some of the
other posts are pretty hilarious (one accused me of
vegetarianism!).

In any case, the study you reference certainly
provides some food for thought.  I am still not
completely convinced (the sample size is small) but am
interested to learn more.

Also, I think you make a useful distinction between
aerobic and anaerobic exercise.  I even did a little
more research, and found corroboration for your
explanation about why ketosis WOULD effect anaerobic
exercise (weight-lifting) -- a fact I knew from my own
experience (as well as the experience of countless
others).

The link is here:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=34&pageid=2

but I'll just paste in the relevant quote (which
simply expands on what you were saying):

"Fat and ketones can’t optimally fuel anaerobic
exercise because glucose is required. If you don't
provide the glucose it will be taken from muscle mass
via gluconeogenesis (simply the conversion of protein
to carbs), and you will lose muscle. After a period of
glucose depletion glycogen synthesis can almost
double."

Since you seem informed on this subject, let me ask
your opinion on something:  What do you consider the
best Paleo foods for anaerobic workouts?  My strategy
is usually to load up on fruits, which works pretty
well, but which (I hate to admit) still doesn't
provide the same kind of energy I used to get when I
ate complex carbs like brown rice.  I'm not saying I
want to switch back to that (the advantages I reap
from eating Paleo outweigh this one minor drawback)
but I would like to know about any research on which
Paleo food are the best replacement for complex carbs
(again, in the context of fueling high-intensity
anaerobic workouts).

Thanks again for your thoughtful response,

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html