From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:16:27 -0700
Autism does have several characteristics of a "disease of civilization".
It occurs without an apparent pathogen.
It seems to have a genetic factor (the majority of an individual's unique
genes define the individual's immune system).
It occurs in fairly high numbers of children and is not manifest until
sometime after birth.
It has not been seen in wild animal populations or in hunter-gatherers.

Many mental conditions benefit from a Natural diet.  One of the first
things I noticed when I began eating this way was an improvement in both
mood and the ability to concentrate.  Letters from readers often mention
this effect as well as relief from ADD and bi-polar (manic/depression)
disease.  Nutritional therapy has also been shown to have major effects
in Down's Syndrome children.

If these benefits are to be seen in Autistic children, the results should
be apparent very quickly!  Even in a week, some changes should be seen.
Even if the child should refuse all foods offered, they won't starve and
the effects should still be apparent.  Try to make the diet as high fat
as possible(pemmican) and offer plenty of fresh fruit.  Make sure that no
hidden forbidden fruits(ie suplements) are allowed.  Any cravings for
complex carbs will disapear within a few days making the process even
easier.

My own two year old has eaten this way his entire life.  I know from
first hand experience how easy it is.  Changing routine is difficult for
an autistic person, but if this way of eating helps even a little, it
will surely be worth the effort.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander