From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:24:03 -0400
On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Ray Audette wrote:

> Autism does have several characteristics of a "disease of civilization".
> It occurs without an apparent pathogen.
> It seems to have a genetic factor (the majority of an individual's unique
> genes define the individual's immune system).
> It occurs in fairly high numbers of children and is not manifest until
> sometime after birth.
> It has not been seen in wild animal populations or in hunter-gatherers.

I have wondered about the latter point.

Other points to consider are the facts that many autistic
children appear even more addicted to carbohydrates than other
kids, often refusing all other foods, or eating only grain-coated
meats, such as chicken nuggets.  I can't tell you how many
stories I've heard from parents whose autistic kids want nothing
but Kraft macaroni and cheese.  Then there is the high incidence
of ear infections and the seemingly endless bowel and gut
problems.  Toilet training can be greatly delayed.  My own son
became *partially* toilet trained almost overnight when we
removed gluten from his diet.  By "partially" I mean that he
was/is fine as long as his stools are normal.  But invariably,
every few weeks, this will change and he will have a few days of
very soft stools and accidents.  We have tried eliminating and
re-introducing dairy, without any effect.

> If these benefits are to be seen in Autistic children, the results should
> be apparent very quickly!  Even in a week, some changes should be seen.

Well, kindergarten is almost over.  I am willing to give it a try
for a few weeks, once the school year is ended.

> Even if the child should refuse all foods offered, they won't starve and
> the effects should still be apparent.  Try to make the diet as high fat
> as possible(pemmican) and offer plenty of fresh fruit.  Make sure that no
> hidden forbidden fruits(ie suplements) are allowed.  Any cravings for
> complex carbs will disapear within a few days making the process even
> easier.

It will be difficult; no question about that.  But we have made
some headway:  Dylan will now eat most meats, and he will eat
cauliflower, summer squash, broccoli, and the occasional cucumber
slice.  He is not keen on most fruits but will eat apples, pears,
cherries, a strawberry or two, and chunks of fresh pineapple.  He
prefers the Forbidden nuts, peanuts and cashews, however.
I guess there's enough stuff there to get him through a few
weeks.

> My own two year old has eaten this way his entire life.  I know from
> first hand experience how easy it is.  Changing routine is difficult for
> an autistic person, but if this way of eating helps even a little, it
> will surely be worth the effort.

Unquestionably.  Research has shown that there metabolic
disturbances in autistic people, such as the PST enzyme
deficiency.  Another enzyme, carbonic anhydrase, is also in short
supply.  The PST deficiency is also seen in migraine sufferers;
I'm not sure about schizophrenics.

What nobody understands yet is *why* these metabolic disturbances
exist.  The prevailing assumption is that they are "genetic", but
this of course is a non-explanation.  It is a fact that for many
kids the symptoms of autism begin or get worse at about the time
when they stop breast-feeding and/or begin eating cereals, or
"baby foods."

Anything is possible.

Todd Moody