From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 07:57:08 -0400
On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Theola Walden Baker wrote:

>  > DHA is not essential either, in dietary terms.
>
> <Audible gasp> DHA is very essential to the proper growth and development of
> an infant's brain and its visual development.  So essential, in fact, that
> for several years Europeans have supplemented infant formulas with it.

You misunderstand me.  The point is that it is not necessary to
*eat* DHA, because you can make it from ALA.  As long as you are
getting omega-3 fat in some form, your need for DHA is satisfied.

The situation with DHA is parallel to that of glucose.  Your
brain and red blood cells absolutely need glucose.  Without it
they will die, and you will die.  But you don't have to eat
glucose for them to get it, because they can convert amino acids
(inefficiently) to glucose as needed.

Todd Moody