From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:59:44 +0200
> Sure. Wild chickens lay a small clutch of eggs then brood them, like
> other birds.

In normal condition I think that a hen needs, or wants a certain amount of
eggs to stop laying new ones. When she has the appropriate amount she will
start brooding them. When we snatch away her eggs she has no way of knowing
when to stop. Light condition is important too. In Sweden at least their
laying is controlled by electric lights. Most hen also stop laying eggs for
a month or two even under industrial conditions. These modern hen don't
brood even if they have enough eggs.
And - chicken are not vegetarians. Their natural food is among other things
grain.
Eva