From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:24:11 -0500
>... substantial weight loss is an unnatural phenomenon.
Yes, you're right.  On CR, you drop from your setpoint by 10%-20%.
You need at least 10% drop to allow CR to kick in.  Over 20% is not
recommended, for health reasons.  Your setpoint is what you weighed
when you were ~18, assuming you were active and in good physical
condition.  If you think 10% loss is substantial then that's fine.  It
is definitely not natural to resist eating tasty food, but it is
survival for the individual, fighting against his species survival
instinct to eat more.

>Chaotic systems are still thermodynamic.
??  All systems that show energy transformations are thermodynamic.
How are you applying the term 'thermodynamic'?

>Todd Moody
>------------------------------
>I can't see why an intelligent, polite introduction of another idea
>should be out of order.
>Michael
Well, I suppose some people can.  But my whole point was to mention
that a Paleolithic diet can be a life-extending high/low diet.  I did
not intend to post CR information to a Neanderthin list without making
the entire point focused on a Paleo diet.  I just wanted people to
know that (I believe) a Paleo diet can be a CR diet, and many of the
reasons why each works are probably identical.  Therefore, the diets
can partially/completely overlap regarding specific foods eaten.

Also, due to a minority of irritated people, this will be the last 'CR related to paleo' post
you will see from me.

However, I would just like to mention that this list is supposed to be a support list for people
practicing a paleo diet.  That's what I am trying to do.  I might have a different idea than the
next person, but I don't think it's that much different.  I bought and read Neanderthin, and the
subject matter excited me enough to start researching ancient diets.  I started researching from
the useful references Neanderthin provided and my excitement increased.  My analytic mind
concluded that the diet was for me.  Now I am striving for a 'more complete' paleo diet.  I have
gone without dairy products for longer than I ever have, and I am weaning myself off grains
entirely (it is hard for me).

Helpful suggestions from people on this list have made it easier for me as I work toward my
paleo diet .  Hopefully we can keep the list focused on being a support list for paleo dieters.
Also, I hope that other pertinent topics (such as paleo diet benefits being identical to CR
benefits) don't get snuffed out completely.  The list would get boring and so rigidly focused
that it would lose much of its benefit for many people.

James
"I think there's a world market for
 about five computers."
    -Thomas Watson (Founder of IBM)