From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 07:20:52 -0600
Don:
>I wouldn't eat regular shrimp raw either, but there is a sweet shrimp that
>is served raw in sushi bars. Called ama ebi (raw prawn). It is only
>available in season, but I don't know when that is. I'll ask tomorrow when
>picking up the salmon roe.

Most shrimp found in USA markets is actually thawed, which is a much better
medium for bacterial growth than truly fresh. Further, much of the imported
shrimp is from shrimp farms where the shrimp are fed flour-like feeds
resulting is pasty-tasting animals. Anyone fortunate enough to net their
own shrimp will often bemoan the flavor of the wimp shrimp in the markets.

(These shrimp farming operations are also notorious for destroying mangrove
habitats and other sensitive coastal waters. I have seen this first-hand
and can assure you it is no hype.)

Cheers,
Kirt

Kirt Nieft / Melisa Secola