From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:15:05 -0700
>I think commercial eggs are cheaper because of the mass production and
cheap
>feed from the commercial feed companies.  A food boycott would work far
>better if the people would rally and just do it.  Laziness is a big issue
>here.  Why pay higher prices when boycott would serve the purpose?  I'm
>tired of paying more to have commerce do it right.  It's like rewarding
>people for not doing wrong.  What's wrong with this picture?  Off of my
>.   Oliva

commercial agriculture produces artificially and irrealiticaly cheap. the
price doesn't represent the real cost of producing. Raise your own chicken
and see for yourself what does cost really in energy to produce a dozof
eggs.
the fact is that for less than 5% of the population (idon't know the real
north american numbers) to feed the rest , there must be some economic
manipulation to keep the prices low( subventionised agriculture, )
the golden age of living off farmers is over , it is time for more people to
be directly responsible for the production of their food.
BOycott of the depleted non food is one thing but you will need to replace
it by something in the meantime you will be learning to produce your own. Be
willing to pay the real price or to raise chicken yourself. If you find a
way to produce high quality eggs cheaply ,let me know . If chicken are
raised with crappy food it is just because it is actually the cheapest way
to do it (money wise not energetically)
jean-claude