From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 15:38:42 -0700
oliva wrote

>You should get them for a lost less that 2 bucks a doz. if you have to wash
>them yourself and others don't want them.  Oliva

i think it is counter productive to expect good quality product if we are
not willing to pay the price.
the fact is that we are producing bad quality products because consumers
want it cheap.
this farmer that is producing free range chicken should be encouraged to be
able to continue that way by getting good prices. that way he will be more
willing to accept new suggestions like feeding organics foods instead of
cheaper commercial pellets , etc...
as paleo we want a different fatty acids profile in our animals products,
here almost evreybody grain feed their lambs to get fatter animals which
weight more. To get grass fed lambs i had to propose an higher price per
weight so the farmer can get the same price from an animal either it is
grass fed or grain fed.
when a friend started to sale organic eggs , he wanted to charge the same
price that free range pellet fed eggs , i advice him to ask for higher
prices , the result is after 3 years there is 4 organic producer of eggs ,
now in our little island because consumers learned to know the difference
and are willing to pay more to get it. Eggs of organic quality cost here cdn
dollard  3.50 or 3.75 a doz . that is still a cheap food for the energy that
i get from them ,in my opinion.
jean-claude