From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:28:15 GMT
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 19:53:01 EDT, "Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a message dated 7/10/99 11:38:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
>writes:
>

>>  >He's just a very
>>  >intelligent man that sees the overwhelming evidence in favor of evolution,
>>  >but maintains his belief in god, even without overwhelming evidence.
>>
>>  How can you possibly know what evidence someone else has?
>>

>In general I can't.  But I think it's pretty obvious. (were talking about the
>pope
>here so I'm going to refer to christianity)  religion is about faith. It says
>so
>in the bible.  It's not about proof, and it offers none.  If there is no
>proof,
>IMO there is no evidence.

Unlike the common assumption, faith or belief has nothing to do with assuming
something exists, even though you are not sure or have no evidence.

belief (bī-lźf“) noun
1.      The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in
another. *

Faith is trust in someone you already know exists.

>  If there were overwhelming evidence of a diety,
>the world would not be so split on its existence, and would not see it in
>so many different ways.

Everyone I know personally, who is not religious, is absolutely terrified that
there might be a god.   One of those people goes to lengths to avoid any sort of
discussion that might tend to convince him.

As far as seeing it in different ways, surely you know the story of the blind
men describing the elephant?   One thinks it is like a tree trunk, one thinks it
is like a rope, another thinks it is like a big leaf, etc.

* The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition
copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from
InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.

--
Cheers,

Ken                         <*>