From:
Susan Wolf Sternberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:47:12 EDT
Mark,

I really like your use of "exercise of instinct" and daily awareness of the
positive or negative consequences of following that instinct as a means of
preventing disease.  I call it "inner wisdom" and find when I listen to it, I
maintain vigor and good health.  When I ignore it, I pay the piper so to
speak.  I healed from advanced metastasized kidney cancer in 1992, so it is
very important to me to keep my immune system as healthy as possible, and
live a balanced life mentally, physically and spiritually.  I find that by
connecting with my bodies "inner wisdom" I am helped immeasurably to do just
that.  Thanks you for sharing your philosophy with us.

Susan

Date:    Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:08:09 -0700
From:    theta sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Healing and prevention of disease; was Re: [P-F] dr. bernarr +
cancer
         theory

At 04:00 PM 4/12/2003 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Our cancer will spontaneously heal, when the cause and need for our
>inherent
> > intelligence to produce cancer, no longer exists.

To a certain extent I can understand the writer's fundamental perspective
on health - whether it be cancer or other disease.  I take these lines out
of context for am I not fully acquainted with other things that were said
in the post.

When disease is present in the body it is usually due to some (and for lack
of a better vocabulary for it) inner need fueled by, presumably, some
oversight or ignorance of living.  Convincing one's self that eating some
French fries is ok and makes one "feel satisfied" is an example of what I'm
talking about: mindful ignorance.  As a friend once said "a crime against
wisdom."  And I've eaten those French fries so I am not without "sin" in
this regard ;-)

I have found that health and day-to-day living can be greatly improved by
"exercise" of instinct and careful observation of the consequences (good or
bad) of following the instinct.  Through this I am fully convinced that
anyone can be free of disease (provided there is enough strength left to
recuperate).

Here are a few simple examples of how I use instinct to "rule" my daily
living:

1. I feel run down and tired and listless for some reason.  By
experimentation I find that regularly drinking the juice of celery, parsley
and zucchini I quickly feel more alert, less "foggy" in the mind and more
eager to do physical things such as walking or other exercise.  When I fail
to drink this juice I find myself feeling out of sorts again.  Now I drink
that juice regularly without fail and it has improved my health, joie de
vivre, mental faculties and muscular strength and stamina.

2. I find that eating grains seems to block my thinking a bit, makes me
feel somewhat bloated and causes sluggish digestion or slight indigestion
and makes me more eager to eat grains and carbohydrates.  When I do not eat
grains the eagerness to eat these foods and the attendant indigestion
vanish and I can more successfully take on the difficult weekend newspaper
crossword puzzle ;-)

3. I take Tai Chi classes and find that I am stronger and calmer after
doing Tai Chi.  I notice my daily elimination is helped by doing these
exercises and hindered by failure to do them.  I am more tolerant to
craziness around me - more grounded and sure of myself.  I put Tai Chi on
my list of daily things to do for good health.

4. There is news of violence and such on the television.  I choose not to
watch and, instead, take a pleasant walk on the beach enjoying nature and
watching the dolphins feed along the coast.  There is a funny comedy of a
pleasant nature on the television.  I choose to watch, laugh and enjoy.

Finally - When I am hungry I observe and smell the foods that are available
to me and choose the ones that most attract me (provided they are not on my
list of "no-no" foods).  If I feel good after eating that food I am more
apt to choose a better food in the future (and vice versa).  If my instinct
tells me not to eat I listen and do not eat - and do not concern myself
with not eating on that occasion.  I find that my diet varies widely from
day-to-day: from fresh meat on some occasions to aged meat on others; from
fresh berries to moldy berries, etc.

I feel better and have better health when I follow my best instincts and
remember what seems to work and what does not.  I try not to commit that
"crime against wisdom" insofar as it is possible.  I am not saying that
this is easy or always possible for the social pressures are all around us
to "follow the crowd" and eat and act accordingly.  I more often, now,
choose the path less taken.

I am certain that my health has improved greatly by following my instincts
in this way.  It required experimentation with new foods and/or ways of
eating them and new ways of thinking and acting. And it required research
and inquiry (including following mailing lists such as this one).  I am
convinced that proper eating (including avoidance of known toxic compounds
in one's food and environment) is a basic method for removing disease and
preventing its recurrence.  It is important, I feel, to adopt and cultivate
a calm and considerate lifestyle and a moderate, meditative exercise such
as Tai Chi or walking.  Need I say that paleolithic style eating is, in my
humble opinion, greatly supportive of these goals?

Regards,

-=mark=-