From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:55:23 -0700
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:49:31 -0700, Emiliano Bussolo <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>> At the above link page click Slow Download in the lower right. Watch
>>> clock countdown from about 35. Then click Download now!
>
> Never mind, I've found it here: http://www.dirtycarnivore.com/books.html

Thanks for this.  It took about 4 hours to download on our dialup, but it
was
worth it.  This is a window in time that goes back 35 years, before Ray
Audette,
before Loren Cordain.  Most interesting.

I have the most trouble with his last chapter, the Future.

His blithe assertion that we should kill all predators on land and ocean
to make
more food for humans, which would be enough to feed humanity for maybe one
more doubling of population, is rather chilling.  He certainly has not a
clue about ecology.
He also has the optimistic attitude that high-tech will save us: more
pesticides, more herbicides, artificial cows, yeast fed by fossil fuels
which were nearly limitless in
his knowledge in 1975.  We've come halfway to his dystopia: fish stocks
are collapsing one after the next, large predators are in trouble
everywhere on the globe, we're tilling just about all the arable land in
the world (except suburban plots and public landscaping).  Using nuclear
waste to produce food hasn't happened; desalinating sea water is still
very expensive.  Arid lands *are* being irrigated with fossil water, which
is depleting fast.

After all the high-tech whiz-bang and mainly destructive solutions, his
bottom line however is one that would make the difference: hold the
population steady.  (It's more than doubled since he wrote that.)  His
suggestions to accomplish this may make us feel queasy, however: only the
superior individuals should breed, weak or defective children should be
killed, and an omnipotent global Bureau of Census should strictly regulate
births.

	Lynnet