From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:50:54 -0500
From: Amadeus Schmidt ,Subject: Re: An interview with Loren Cordain

> What speaks against it, are in my memory two points:
> 1.The interview with Loren Cordain elaborated an average
> of only 1-8% fat in (todays) wild game. (this is whole animal,
> including brain and marrow, i think)
> Also, a vegetable matter percentage, high enough to equal out
> the acid balance -and therefore avoid the calcium loss which
> paleo-humans did *not* experience- might
> contain an already high energy intage from these same plants.
> 2.Ice age africa (including *todays* tropics) had long times
> when rainforest changed to steppe and thundra.
> But these were never cold and ice-covered so exactely which fatty
> animals would you expect there?

1. As I said, we are not talking about today's animals but rather about the
Pleistocene Megafauna.  Eight percent of a mammoth is still a lot of fat.
2.Large parts of southern Africa were glaciated or contained steppe-tundra.
Because the earth is closest to the sun in January, it would have been even
colder in these parts of Africa than in latitudinal equal parts of Europe at
this time.

These times of extreme cold were the vast majority of the last two million
years.  Right now we are in one of the longest warm periods during this
time.  To believe that we can forestall the next period of glaciation
through the production of greenhouse gasses may, in time, prove to be a
supreme example of human folly.

BTW, the August '99 issue of Scientific America has an article "Is Out of
Africa Going Out the Door: New doubts on a popular theory"(pg. 13).

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"