From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:36:13 -0500
Richard Geller wrote:

> Is anyone else eating just once per day? I eat once in the evening but
> it is quite a lot. I am back to eating more paleo now. I do eat raw milk
> cheese and white potatoes. Last night I ate 3 eggs and cheese, then pork
> chops, mushroom and cream sauce, parsnips and yam. I do really well
> eating this way and I have more energy and mental clarity than ever. I
> mention this to people I run into but few are interested as they think
> it would be too hard. I think it is easy as I do not need to practice
> moderation -- something I find difficult -- while abstinence during the
> day I find easy.
>
> --Richard

I am considering trying it again, just to see what effect it has on
fasting BG.  Ori Hofmekler claims that eating this way enhances nutriest
utilization, especially protein utilization.  And he concedes that this
way of eating goes against virtually all nutritional guidelines.  I
recall a study, a few years back, involving two groups of people
consuming the same number of calories each day; one group consuming them
all at one meal, the other distributed over 5 or 6 small meals.
Although the calories were the same, the ones eating more frequently
lost more weight--another blow to "calories are just calories", but
seemingly not a finding that supports this way of eating.  Of course,
it's possible that the once-a-day group lost less weight because they
gained muscle.  I don't remember if the study looked at that
(unfortunately, too few diet studies look at body composition) and I
can't locate it again to check.

We have discussed intermittent fasting (IF) more than once on this
list.  The animal study of IF involved alternate day eating, without net
reduction of calories, and the results indicated that the benefits of
caloric restriction could be achieved in this way.  Hofmekler believes
the same results can be obtained by once-a-day eating (plus his
"allowed" nibbling)--daily IF, if you will--but I don't think it has
been tested yet.

Like you, Richard, I find this approach psychologically easier.  It
really doesn't bother me much to forego eating during the day if I know
I can have what I want at dinner.  The key to any diet, as I see it, is
to minimize the mental energy that must be expended to stay on it,
whether it be counting carbs, calories, fat grams, points, or whatever.
The advantage of the Hofmekler approach is that instead of counting,
it's a discipline of waiting.  He recommends eating around 7.  When I've
tried this, I found that the only difficult part of the day was the
period between about 4 in the afternoon and dinnertime.  And I believe
that was psychological/habitual, as much as anything.  I'd get home
somewhere during that window of time, and as soon as I get home I
instinctively would want to eat something.  It hasn't changed since I
was a kid.  I'd come home from school and the first thing I'd do is look
for something to eat.  If I simply stayed out til 7 I don't think it
would bother me at all, but that doesn't work for various other reasons.

Anyway, I'm willing to give it another go.

Todd Moody