From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 17:36:05 -0400
>        NeanderThin is a diet with an ideology behind it.  Eating
>forbiden fruit is not only unhealthy, it is "wrong."

Perhaps _NeanderThin_ is, but I'd quite like to distance myself from this
philosophy.  I feel the _NeanderThin_ diet is a fine and healthy diet based
on a good deal of research, but I personally -do not- see it as an
ideology, nor am I particularly interested in having any part in a group
that spreads a diet like a religious message.

Eating cereal grains is not "wrong," it is unhealthy.  Cereal grains are
also massively destructive toward the environment so having no part of
eating them is not a bad thing, but of course unless you're eating
free-range meats you haven't done much to help that problem.  Free-range
meats are best and the most ecologically sound and making efforts to eat
that are important.

The issue of non-cereal vegetable and fruit products is far more troubling.
I have read fairly convincing evidence that most of the pesticides and
fertilizers used are nowhere near the danger that is so often portrayed by
many political groups, and even read some evidence that "organically grown"
fruits and vegetables are actually slightly more carcinogenic than their
counterparts grown with the nasty evil pesticides and fertilizers.  I also
am very interested in knowing (as I do not know the answer) whether
artificial farming methods using pesticides and etc. are more
environmentally sound than the "organic" growing methods--do the organic
methods yield less food?  If they do, then to grow them would require more
use of land and therefore more ecological devastation.

The question of biosustainability is an important one, for purely rational
reasons.  I hope we can discuss these issues on that level without trying
to turn this into a religious quest.  I am a rationalist, and I am really
thoroughly uninterested in proselytizing or being part of a cult.

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay